C&G 2357 Unit 301 Mock Exam
This is a C&G 2357 Unit 301 mock exam. In order to simulate the exam conditions we recommend using a stopwatch set to 30 minutes. During that time you need to answer all 15 questions.
It is the first exam and covers the following topics: health and safety, legal requirements, access equipment, relevant regulations, asbestos, first aid, fire fighting, emergency procedures, COSHH, safe working environments, PPE, manual handling, risk assessments and VDUs.
1. How should a voltage indication device be checked for correct operation ?
a) Test on the mains supply
b) Consult the manufacturers datasheet
c) Check the calibration date
d) Test on a proving unit
2. RIDDOR is applied in the event of accidents in the workplace. Which of the following statements apply?
a) Fractures to fingers are reported
b) All diseases are reported
c) Major injuries are reported
d) All accidents are reported
3. What type of sign is circular, white, with a red border and a red diagonal line across it?
d) Fire sign
4. Which one of the following is the most likely hazard when drilling 8 mm holes in a plastered wall, 1200 mm above the floor in a domestic dwelling?
a) Drilling into buried cables
b) Falling from a height
c) Debris falling from above
d) Handling chemicals
5. When passing metal conduit to a colleague who is working on a tower scaffold, correct PPE must include
a) gloves, boots and a hard hat
b) gloves, boots and a face mask
c) boots, face mask and a hard hat
d) face mask, hard hat and gloves
6. If a trainee electrician, while working on a construction site, notices a live conductor which is exposed to touch, the trainee should
a) tape it up
b) report it to a supervisor immediately
c) short out the ends causing the fuse to blow
d) write a report on the incident and post it to the office
7. In what form does asbestos become extremely harmful to humans?
a) Asbestos fibres getting onto skin
b) Asbestos fibres released into the air
c) Asbestos fumes released into the air
d) Asbestos fibres getting into food and drink in the workplace
8. Which year is associated with the 'Asbestos at Work Regulations'?
9. You need to do a job that you feel is unsafe to carry out. What should you do?
a) Ask someone else if they will do it for you
b) Go home
c) Carry out the task anyway
d) Speak to your supervisor, voicing your concerns
10. What does COSHH stand for?
a) Certification of substances harmful to health
b) Control of substances hazardous to health
c) Control of substances harmful to health
d) Certification of substances hazardous to health
11. Which one of the following substances is not covered by COSHH legislation?
a) Cement and wood dust
d) Man-made fibres that may cause irritation
12. Who is responsible for the provision of PPE in the workplace?
a) Safety representative
c) Trades union
13. Before beginning work on an electrical circuit
a) a volt stick should be rubbed against the cable to ensure it is dead
b) it should be switched off
c) it should be isolated and locked off
d) signs on the consumer unit should warn people that the power may go off
14. The first action to be taken if a person is found lying unconscious on the floor after possibly receiving an electric shock is
a) assess the situation
b) call the emergency services
c) check for a pulse
d) check for any burns
15. When lifting a load it is recommended to
a) bend the back and knees and keep the load tucked in tight to the body
b) bend the back, maintaining straight knees at all times
c) maintain a straight and upright back and knees, bend at the waist
d) maintain a straight and upright back, bend the knees